Sunday 20 March 2011

Review of the L.A Candy series by Lauren Conrad

I read the first two books, L.A Candy and Sweet Little Lies, a while ago now. I remember thinking they were alright. The books are basically The Hills in print form, so if you like the show than you would most likely enjoy the books.

I wouldn't call myself a massive Hills fan, in fact I gave up watching it a long time before it finished as it really started to get on my nerves, and I guess thats how I feel about the book series as well.
I was only a few pages into Sugar and Spice and I was already cringing. I always finish a book even if it isn't what I had expected, but I really struggled from those first few pages.

The story is this: Jane Roberts is a nobody from Santa Barbara who gets discovered when she she moves to LA with her friend Scarlett Harp. They get signed on to appear in a new reality TV show called LA Candy made by PopTV. They are cast with two other girls, Madison Park & Gaby Garcia, and meant to be insta-friends.

Jane begins dating a guy called Jesse but has feelings for a friend of hers called Braden. Madison gets jealous that Jane gets all the attention on the show and plans to destroy Jane's girl next door rep. Scarlett hates the whole thing and Gaby is a blip on the celebrity radar.

The fact that this story could pan over three books was odd, but then the fact that the Hills could be a show for so long was odd too. The only good thing about the books was Lauren's constant jabs at how fake the whole 'reality' tv thing is, which everyone knows anyway, but some parts of these books felt more fact than fiction.

The story is basically Lauren Conrad's life. It has the Heidi character, the Lo character, the Audrina and Whitney, even the Jason. 

I'm afraid, sadly, I don't know how it ended, I did what I never do and took it back to the library after three chapters. I just couldn't handle the way it was written. I could have probably finished it if i didn't have to read the words "Soooooo" and "Ummm" every paragraph.

I'm really sorry to anyone who loves these books or the show. I don't want to offend anyones tastes etc. and as I said I did like the first two enough, I think I've just been reading some really great books this last year or so and I really wasn't in the state of mind for the last installment.

I give the entire series a 1.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment