Wednesday 16 March 2011

Review of Penitence by Jennifer Laurens

When we left Heavenly, Zoe and Matthias were in Paradise, happy and in love. But now Zoe is back and hasn't seen Matthias since she died.

Zoe soon starts to see a new spirit, he reminds her of Matthias, but doesn't have the same comforting feeling she had around him. She thinks that he is her new guardian. She was wrong, so, so wrong.

Albert is an evil spirit. He thrives on pain and suffering. He is Matthias' father, hellbent on destroying his son and all that he loves. This of course, includes Zoe. 

Those around Zoe soon begin to make some horrible choices in their lives. Partly due to the horrid black spirits that ride their backs, spirits which Zoe can unfortunately see and do nothing about. 

Some of Zoe's friends begin to turn on her, the others seem to change into people unlike their true selves, the only person Zoe feels she can trust is Weston Larson (of all people). Weston is not only the boy Britt loves, but he is also part of the duo who tried to assault Zoe. 

Penitence is a great second book to Heavenly. It expands more on the notion of choices, good and bad and I really like the development of characters like Chase and Krissy. Weston was a real turn-around character in this book. He is one of the only people who seemed to learn from his mistakes made in the first book, thus why he and Zoe bond and he and Britt fall apart.

the runaway quote from the book for me was: "I've come to realize that our actions bring us peace or fear.” which I feel really gets the theme of the book. 


The book ends with almost everybodies lives in disarray due to the presence of Albert and the evil spirits. I feel something big coming with either Krissy or Chase and can't wait to get Absolution. 


Again, I can't fault Jennifer Laurens's writing style. It's great and obviously I enjoy the characters and plot, so again I give this book a 4/5


I apologise if this review is all over the shop, I am currently very ill and my head is spinning in a very un-user-friendly kinda way :)

No comments:

Post a Comment