Friday 27 May 2011

Review of Inside Out by Maria V Snyder

Trella is a scrub. Along with thousands of others. The scrubs are the bottom of the food chain, so to speak, Inside. They work and sleep and that is basically it. They are controlled by the Travas and envy the Uppers. Trella is known as the Queen of the Pipes. She knows the inner workings of Inside like the back of her hand. She has been plodding along not questioning her life until her friend, Cog, introduces her to Broken Man, the latest in Prophets. Soon, ideas of 'Gateway' the almost-myth exit from Inside begin to take over Trella's mind. Before she knows it she is the face of a rebellion. The scrubs are looking to her to make changes. And she is determined to to prove Broken Man wrong about Gateway. What she doesn't count on is believing him.

It was a slow start for me, I must admit. But about 2/3 the way in I was very hooked. It has a wonderful ending and a good lead into Book 2. I Liked Trella as a character. She is a little selfish and thats sometimes good in books, you may know from previous posts I dont like the goody-goodies.

The book is well written and I think it could be quite an enjoyable read for even younger young-adults. 

The plot is good and what I would expect from teen-girl-dystopia. There is a particular twist at the end which really made the book for me.

I give it a 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment