Thursday 5 May 2011

Review of Rampant by Diana Peterfreund

Eff yeah, Unicorns! As an animal lover, I was excited by the idea of a book about Unicorns, evil ones or not. Rampant had been in my TBR pile for some time and through my super-high-tech method of choosing my next book (bits of paper in a hat held high by boyfriend and randomly drawn by me whislt on exercise bike) Rampant came out, and I honestly can't believe I had'nt read it sooner. IT WAS AWESOME.

It is about Astrid Llewellyn, a  sixteen year old girl who has grown up being afraid of Unicorns due to her mothers unnatural obsession with them. Lilith Llewellyn believes in Unicorns, not only that she thinks theyre killing machines who love nothing more than chomping on humans. Astrid hates the whole thing and refuses to go along with her mothers crazy ideas. That is until during a make-out session her sort-of boyfriend is attacked by one. 

Astrid is sent off against her will to Unicorn Hunter Boot Camp, along with an assorted group of young girls from all over the Northern Hemisphere and thrown straight into the very different world of formerly mythical beasts and her apparent destiny to hunt and kill them.

The book was wonderfully written and Astrid is so easily likeable. Another good aspect to the characters is that the ones you are meant to hate are so easy to hate, Diana Peterfreund has done a wonderful job at building up the characters.  

The plot is great, it was so enjoyably and exciting and to use a cliche, a real 'page-turner'.  There is a second book, 'Ascendant' which I am very looking forward to reading to see where things go next.

It is a stand out book for me as it is different to most of the other ya-fantasy fiction around, similar to Firelight, I liked that it was about something other than vampires/werewolves etc.

Some of the book may not be suitable for very young kids but nothing too bad. 

If you havent read it, I say, Do it now! Especially for the lovely little 'pet' Unicorn the girls have called "Bonegrinder" - Hello scene stealer! 

Clearly, I give it 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment