Wednesday 2 March 2011

Review of Firelight by Sophie Jordan

Jacinda is not your normal 16 year old (but are any of the protags these days?). Not only is she part of a special race called the draki, which are descendents from dragons with the ability to shift into human form, she is also a fire-breather. This is exceptionally rare with the draki and thus making Jacinda a pretty hot commodity as far as mates go.

Although, after a bout of rule-breaking and nearly being caught by a group of hunters, including a mysterious (ahem and sexy) young man who finds Jacinda but lets her go, Jace's mother decides they need to leave the pride for the safety of her daughter who will certainly suffer the wrath of the Alpha.

In the human world Jacinda is none too pleased. Her twin sister Tamra on the other hand is over-the-moon. 

Jacinda must learn to adapt and accept the human world, something which she most definitely does not want to do as this means giving up her draki self - for good.


Things change however when, during her first day at new high school, she spots the sexy hunter who let her free - Will...


I kinda knew I would enjoy this book when I first heard about it. I am sucker for anything YA fantasy, but after a while the faerie/wolf/vamp thing can get repetitive. I think this is an original concept, I have always liked dragons as well so that aspect was pretty neat.


From the first page I was hooked. Sophie Jordan manages to instantly create another world that I longed to be a part of. Jacinda, as a lead, was not as annoying as some mains can be. The other characters were enjoyable as well. 


The writing style is simple, but not in a bad way, it was easy to read and entertaining which is generally how I like my books to be. 


I give this a 5/5 


(for future reference I rate things by a) general story b) main characters c) writing style)

No comments:

Post a Comment